Thursday, July 31, 2014

Essay/Final Blog Entry

MEDIA 10: FINAL EXAM

Thesis: I learned about how women are seen in the media and movements against inequality between male and females.


    In my first blog is named "Beer ads Sexualizes Women" for this blog I researched beer ads and how they portray women as sex object to sell beer. I found a lot of pictures with women with little to no clothing. Like this one on the right. The media I found on the topic was upsetting. It brought me to think of how these portals of women affect not only the people see women but more importantly the way women see themselves.


    My second blog is named "Hollywood is setting a Standard for Women", for this blog I researched how women are portrayed in movies. I learned about the Bechdel test which measures female presence in movies. The video on the left explained the three questions that need to be answered for the Bechdel test. The video also explained how many movies fail to pass the Bechdel test and gave a list. I was surprised to find out that there is little to no female representation on films. It was also upsetting to find that if there were female representation in films, it is a negative one.  



    My third blog is named "#FreetheNipple", for this blog I researched a feminist movement called "Free the Nipple". The movement was started by Linda Escro. In my blog I enabled a video where Escro was asked questions about the movement she started. When Escro was ask why did she start the movement, she informed the interviewer on the fact that it is illegal for women to be topless in 35 states and that in five of those states it is also illegal for women to breastfeed in public. She stated that this is the kind of double standard that she is fighting against. She is fighting for equal rights for men and women, not necessarily the right to be topless in public.


    My Fourth blog is named "Scout Willis Going Topless", for this blog I did more research on the "Free the Nipple Movement" and the people who support the movement. In the blog I go into detail with the people who support the movement, specifically people in the public eye. In the blog I enable a video about Scout Willis. The video talks about how Scout Willis shows her support for the Free the Nipple movement by fighting against Instagram's "no female nipple" policy. I also find a list of people who openly show their support for the movement by going to the fundraiser or posting info about the movement on social media like the Miley Cyrus' post on twitter. The post can be seen on the left. This shows that inequality among men and women is a real issue and many people are aware and willing to try and change it through informing people.


    My fifth blog is named "Anti Photoshop Movement", For this blog I did research on the "anti Photoshop Movement". The Movement is made up of people who believe that photoshoped images in the media like advertising can affect the self image of young men and women. After reading an article talking about the movement I decided to make a survey to see how people around my job feel about the topic.  I was surprised to find that the the answers I got from both male and females were the same. They both equally agreed that the altered images in the media does have an affect on self image and that it is a negative affect.

    Before I started my blog I was naive to the idea of inequality among men and women. Each blog post I did taught me more and more about women issues and the negative or little representation that women have in the media. 


No comments:

Post a Comment